Thursday, January 26, 2012

Some things we like to use at our "preschool"

Here's a couple more things that we have been working on in school. These are some great things you can try with your 3-5 year old. I try to do some of these types of activities every week or two. It's hard to think of math activities that actually "go with" the letter of the week themes we are working on. We are working on T this week. Here she is working on patterns with this great little linking shapes I found at a garage sale and used in my previous Kindergarten classroom. I have also used colored little blocks to teach patterns.  She understands the concepts of a pattern within the last couple weeks now.  I tried it a few months ago and she did NOT get it! But that is the great thing about teaching a new concept one on one. You just say "Ok, we'll try that another day! and move on." Even though I am telling you that- I still have to remember that for myself! I have to check myself sometimes when I am "encouraging" ie yelling at Bella, "You know how to do it!!" It's a fine line between encouraging her to not give up and creating a fearful child of failing in front of you.
 


I also thought up this "game." I typed up her sight words that she knows currently in 72 sized font. She used the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics set she got for her birthday to make the words. A couple of the words have a double letter, so I would recommend having another set of magnetic letters you can find at the dollar store or something. I had these home made letters I used in my old classroom. To make these I bought a magnetic strip and can either write with a permanent marker or put letter stickers on. Then just cut out and can use on a fridge or cookie sheets are great too for individual words or if you have 2 or 3 kids working on different spelling or reading words. Another thing I will have Isabella make is a little book or we will just write the letter and she will color in items that we can think of that start with the particular letter we're working on. Hope these things can help you with your little one at home. I'll try to keep thinking up new ideas and pass them along. 



No comments:

Post a Comment