Tuesday, April 7, 2009

School

AAHH! Boy, it's good to be home in the quiet! I went to volunteer at the school that I used to work at. There were kids literally running around the room. I feel so bad for the kids that actually want to learn. Because of the actions of about 5 students, 22 others can't get the right classroom environment to learn. On top of that it is just loud and chaotic. I was doing so well with limiting my snacking and watching what I was eating, but as soon as I got there I was scarfing down jelly beans as fast as I could! I want to make it clear that the room is like this not because of the lack of trying or a quality teacher in the room. I love the girl that is in there now instead of me. It's just crazy! Even though Isabella is only 3 months, every time I go it makes it 100% clear that I will be homeschooling her! Being there also gave me a new respect for moms who work outside the home and then come home and give their attention, patience and love to their kids. I'm thankful that Bella is sleeping now so I have a minute to decompress after just a few hours! I would feel terrible if I took out my frustration or stress on my child.
Teaching is a weird profession. Anybody can come in and criticize you and your classroom. At most other jobs, "outsiders" don't come in and tell you how to do your job. When I went to college, I had a completely different idea about how teaching would be. I think it's because of the great elementary school memories I have. I have always wanted to be a teacher. I like to be around children and especially helping anyone. When I started teaching last year, it was the hardest year. I was learning everyday way more than I ever did in college. If and when I ever go back to teaching, I would like to be at a small, Christian school. Not that those schools are perfect either, but I feel like it's a start in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment