Thursday, May 31, 2012

How to make your own fabric organizer



Looking through Pinterest and then looking at the continuous mess on my "learning table" -- the table where we do home school, was making me very frustrated. If you were to look through my boards (on Pinterest) you would see that I have about a million organizing ideas, then a big ol' mess on the table! So I finally decided enough was enough and got my creative juices flowing. I fell in love with this fabric ( and prints like this..) at Jo-Ann Fabric. Now, just have to find a project!! I made up  again- never perfect or exact, but does the job! a fabric pocket organizer to hang on the side of our pantry closet.     
     
I had this long piece of cardboard from a backing of a poster print. I thought it would be perfect to add a little sturdiness to the back- for free! So, I laid it out and cut out some muslin fabric to go around it.

Then I laid out my coordinating fabric for the pockets. The measurements were a little bigger than a piece of paper sideways... Don't forget to leave a little extra for seam allowances too...


All sewed on all around, on each rectangle...


Fold over and sew along the side. If you don't have or want the cardboard, you could sew the bottown too. Then flip right side out and sew the top.

Slip through the cardboard. Fold over the top, I actually taped it!

Here it is all done!! Hanging on the side of a cabinet in our kitchen.
 
I have to confess, I have that hanging with 3M Command hooks, and after putting a lot of papers/ laminated papers for school, it fell down! So now I need to think up a better way to hang it up. I'm think something with hanging it with ribbon. It's still a good, easy idea for organizing quickly and easily. This project is not hard to sew..Just need a good hour or two to complete it. This project would work out for small books in a child's room or make the dimensions a little smaller or just do 2 pockets for a car organizer, adding a elastic to go around the head rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment