Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Some new loves

Hey, How was your Valentine's day? Ours was good- Jacob started off the day with making a screen saver "scrapbook" of pictures of us together. Bella was in a lot of them- so when she saw it she thought he made it for her! It was a sweet gesture, none the less, and add a box of chocolate so you can't go wrong! I made these super cute "Owl always love you" shirts with my Silhouette. I used the iron on transfer set I got for Christmas. For some (very annoying!) reason the words would not iron on to Livi's- so I made a stencil from freezer paper and painted it on. Anyways, here they are:
 


 

I had the joy of going to my women's Bible study at church. What's a better way to celebrate a day about love than to learn about the one who is love- Jesus! We are doing the Beth Moore study- Mercy Triumphs; a study about James. I had never read or studied James before. I'm surprised how many verses are very familiar to me. It is a very relevant book for today. I'm in the thick of studying acting on your faith and not to judge others- tough ( but great) stuff!  Bella was a bear at lunch but then "Hallelujah"- nap time for the afternoon, which gives me the strength to get through the rest of the day.

For dinner I made sausage lasagna. I got the recipe from my e-meals this week. This recipe used only cottage cheese and no ricotta but I'm sure what ever your favorite recipe is, you could swap out the ground beef for ground sausage. It was good change. I also made these yummy chocolate chip lava cookies a la Pinterest ( and my sister's recommendation).
bakingandboys.com
 Since we had our first life group meeting Monday at our house, the place was nice and clean. So after dinner I got to relax and watch 3 episodes of the The Good Wife (season one) on dvd-  My new fav. show ( another great recommendation from my sister!)  So all in all a pretty nice night.

Candy, candles and these cute little girls waiting for Daddy.


I've been dreaming up how to make a Kindle fire case. Monday, we got a box from Shutterfly with a photo book in it. Today I looked at it and it was my inspiration for the case!

  I traced an outline of the Fire on the box. Then I did the same with fabric twice the length. I folded it over and sewed it together. Of course with the way I sew, I usually learn many things along the way and therefore things I would change if doing it again- or in this case- attempting to tell you how to make one for yourselves! So for this step I would  probably wait till later to sew together.

I wanted to put in a clear pouch on one side for when I use it on the treadmill and little corner tabs to just hold it in place when I'm using it normally.

Clear pouch for treadmill use



This was a little tricky to sew with the fabric sewed together b/c I didn't want the stitches showing through on the front. This is why I suggest sewing these types of things on first and then sewing the wrong sides together and flip for the finished product.. Anyways- I decided to use fleece because I knew it wouldn't fray and it would be soft, yet durable to hold the Kindle in it's place. Here's our lovely model showing off the corner pieces while I was pinning to make sure it would fit properly. After I got it all sewn together, somehow one corner was smaller than the rest! I cut them about 4 inches across and rounded the edges. When I sewed it I went around the whole rectangle to make it easier.

Cut 4, 4 inches each
sew all around
When I sewed the first part of the large fabric together. I simply just folded it in half and sewed one long and one short side together. The bottom was left open to be able to put the cardboard in. Note: If you don't have, or don't want to use cardboard, you could use some heavy interfacing. I liked this cardboard because I was like a book spine. Actually now that I mention it, I actually saw a diy case on Pinterest made with a old book binding and you rip out the pages and glue fabric on it, similar to this project. Ok.. rabbit trail is over, back to my current project!

I folded the edges over to have a finished look on the side that was open ( to be able to put over the cardboard) I added a ribbon because I am going to put it around the top of the treadmill to hold it on the little shelf thing-y.  So I sewed that on, right through the cardboard. Only broke one needle:-/ ( that is after breaking one other one on the corner tabs..) I sewed a button on the middle to use the ribbon as a fastener as well. If you were not putting a long ribbon around it, you could just put a little loop of ribbon on the one side and a button on the other side to still fasten it.

Ta- Da! Finished product! Pretty good for not knowing what I was doing!;)

No comments:

Post a Comment