Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Little updates, big impression



Oh how I love productive days. They just have to be filled with things that I have been wanting to get done- whether big or small, noticeable or not. It makes me feel good to cross off the things on the list ( seen or unseen).  My husband will say "why are you doing that today, all of the sudden?" When in reality, it's been rolling around in my head to do for a while! Like putting up molding around the ugly builder's standard bathroom mirrors like this:






So on Saturday, he said "OK" So I ran with it! I had to do some errands with my sister today. What else could us two girls do but buy something ridiculously large and try to fit it in her Civic?! We seem to find things like this all the time! It's so fun and we just roll with it; our husbands on the other hand just look at each other and think "what have we gotten ourselves into?!" So I bought 5 pieces of 10'' molding, 12 little squares so I don't have to make any miter cuts on the wood and some liquid nails. Didn't think it would be so much- $66!! So then I come home happy to finally got it and come to find out that it will be about half the cost if I go to this hardware bargain store down the street! So guess who gets to load up those 10'' pieces of trim now to return them?! Yep, me! I'll happily do it for at least 20 bucks back in my pocket though.:) We're going to return and actually get the project done this coming Saturday, now.  While I was on a home redecorating binge, I got out my Silhouette to make some really cute little vinyl wall hanging/ words. I made this one for the dining room. I'm really trying to be more intentional about what my "theme" is now and really make a strong statement with that instead of just finding little bits of everything that I think is cute, but then does not look cute all mismatched together. So, if you can't tell my theme is French inspired. Some day I hope to go there...




Over the french painting in the dining room

I made this for over our bed. I really love these tufted headboards. But I don't know if I'm ( or my budget) is up to making this. So for now, this will have to do. Happiness is being married to your best friend:)

Here's my greatest little trick for instant update to old, ugly, dated countertops- contact paper!! I bet you couldn't even tell. I have put it on my kitchen counters, and people thought I got new ones! I wanted to update them when we did the floor last summer. 2 rolls of granite looking contact paper covered the kitchen, half bath and now this upstairs bathroom. It took probably 30-45 minutes to put it all on. Here's some helpful hints about this if you decide to try it. It is great for apts or rental houses because it will come off when you want it to. But stays on quite well when you do want it on.. I've had it on the kitchen for about 6 months now and still looks great! You know how much kitchen counters are used, so that's saying alot!

Before- 20 yr old dated beige-y countertops


Just roll it on and smooth it out slowly as you put it on. If you can have a friend ( or husband) help you, it does make it smoother, esp. for large areas like a kitchen. This was my 3rd time doing it, so I'm an old pro now!;)


Tip: Put the "back splash" on first and then the long piece on the counter over it to smooth it out.

Ta- Da! After:)

This for over the toilet in the downstairs half bath. Funny story about this- as I was putting this up, Jacob comes in and says doesn't that mean "perfume"? I'm thinking "great, now I have to redo this whole thing!" So he looks it up- it does mean toilet in french, and eu du toilette  is perfume, but literally means "toliet water"! Gives a new meaning to that $100 french perfume, huh?;)


This is the finished half bath countertop.




This is the little redo of Bella's room I did last weekend. I made up the owl pictures and moved her dresser to the middle of the room. I hung up a "Isabella" coat hook and put her dress up things on it. I think it looks so much better, much more cohesive.( The pictures say- Owl always love you and You're a hoot!)

Hope you enjoyed some before and afters! So, now I'm curious-  How do you redecorate on the cheap? Leave a comment, I would love to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment