Sunday, August 9, 2009

the frugal life is a good life

Well now that our path is decidedly pointed towards Louisville,KY/seminary in a year, we have tightened our budget. I thought that we were pretty frugal before.. Well we are have gotten even better. I have to say it's kinda fun. I feel so great when I get a deal. It's like a little game to me. I found this website-www.kraftfoods.com and there is part of the site that has a menu/grocery planner on it. I love it. I feel organized and it's one less thing to think about during my surprisingly busy days. I have dinner all planned out for the whole week. I only spent $45 for everything this week:) I started shopping at Aldi. They have some pretty good and cheap food. The downfall is they don't everything that a larger supermarket has. Actually now that I think of it, it might be a good thing. That's how I can stay focused and get the things I actually need. My parents shop there. When I was younger I used to be embarassed bringing my lunches with non name brand things in it. Now I'm all about it! The food tastes just as good, so there's no problem here. We are also eating out a lot less. When we made up our new budget, I thought this would be hard to give up eating out one or two times every weekend. It's not so bad though. We can still go out sometimes, just not every week.
Garage sales, Goodwill and Craigslist-these are a few of my favorite things! I have found most of Isabella's things through one of these places. My thinking is as long as Bella is happy and safe, then a (clean) second hand thing is just as good. Actually I think it's usually better because it's like a third of the price as it is new! Especially when they are babies and don't know what they have nor do they care. It's amazing how fast she is growing. I can hardly fit in time for her to wear all of the cute new outfits (that we got as gifts) before she grows out of them! I was looking at all of her toys out today. I think I spent a total of $15 or $20 and she can more toys than she knows what to do with. You know kids, they're usually happy with the odd things like a piece of paper or a bucket and a spoon!
Have you ever seen that show on TLC, 18 kids and counting? Some of the things they do as a family is amazing. I love the way they are debt free. They regularly shop at thrift stores. They make things like laundry detergent, all their meals and even their own home! Last but not least (or related to being thrifty!) all of their children obey and show respect!
I think of my mom, she says "I was 'green' before it was cool to be." It's very true. When we were little, we used to think that our mom was just plain cheap. But now I see the wisdom in her ways. If there is something dry in a ziplock bag, rinse out the crumbs and use it again. If you out grow or don't need some clothes or household item, don't throw it away- give it away. In short recycle and reuse as much as possible. Not only is it helping your wallet and the earth, it's showing good stewardship. That's what God would want from from us, to be responsible for the wonderful gifts He has given us!

No comments:

Post a Comment