Friday, March 9, 2012

Gods and Kings: Book Review



This is suppose to be my February book review. I finished (finally!) Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin. This was a interested idea for a story. It was a fictional story based on Hezekiah in the Bible. I did not know anything about him and little about this time period ( it is based on 2 Kings 17-21, 2 Chronicles 28-32 and some parts of Isaiah ). It was interesting to get in their head to understand what they might have been thinking as well as hear what might have been some dialogue they might have had. I started the book in December ( I think) and would read for a while and then forget about it for a few weeks, therefore it took me forever to finish it!
The story starts with Hezekiah as a young boy pulled out of bed along with his brother. His brother is sacrificed to the god Molech, burned alive! Hezekiah watches this horrid scene. Obviously, he is very upset and had nightmares and wants to stay by his mother, who is a believer of Yahweh. The story goes along following him growing up and learning about God's ways from his grandfather, Zechariah. Hezekiah is the next in line to be king of Assyria. His father, King Ahaz worships many idols and has turned the country upside down. He does not let him help in leading the country nor tell him anything. There are some parts that talk about Isaiah the prophet going out into the town to warn the people and to repent from their disobedience and idol worship. Obviously, there are many twists and turns involving these Biblical characters.
To follow in my husband's (book reviewing) footsteps, I would give this a 3 our of 5 stars. Like I said, the book was an interesting idea, but it didn't seem to keep my attention for long amounts of time. However I seem read more of  fictional books ( and even that has to be just perfect conditions for me to stick with it!); So if you like historical fiction genre, this would be right up your alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment